Monday, February 21

Music Snobbery.

What other people liked used to really influence my taste. It used to be that in my group, as soon as a song got popular we disdained the unfortunate successful band - or enjoyed them... but ironically... I love that now I'm older I kinda don't care so much. I think it must partially be that being a *working person*, not an *in school* person or *uni student* person, there's just less of a group influence. Sure I have friends, but I dont see them every day. Heck currently I don't see anyone once a month (save my husband and housemates). So I kinda just have to decide for myself what I like. It means being a music snob is a lot harder. And really, that's a good thing. Coz music snobbery... it's boring.
Dear readers, I consider myself an individual. An interesting individual no less, and I give my self some indie cred. I like music. I like good music. I like different music. But at the end of the day if its catchy - it's catchy for a reason. So whilst when people ask me what music I like I say: Radiohead, The Shins, The National, TV on the Radio, Mogwai, Trail of Dead, Foals, Pinback, Patrick Watson, The stranglers, Broken Social Scene... that doesn't mean I don't think Phil Collins is a damn fine musician. He is. I also have a small and embarrassing penchant for Linkin Park (Don't judge me!!!) - those angsty songs are so catchy!
Bono and Queen and Abba can kiss my behind though. But JT and Beyonce... they are prettttty talented. May be it's hip now anyway? Who knows? Is listening to Black Eyed Peas deeply ironic? I'm not a hipster. And I don't care. Hooray!


PS. Radiohead have a new album out though! Get it here.

4 comments:

  1. i can't stand music snobs - who is someone to critisise you for something you like - even if they don't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you, Soph, though I do think it's okay to hate people who love ABBA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music snobbery is one of my biggest pet hates ... I just don't get why people have to get all judgemental ... each to their own I say! :)

    Like you, I find that the older I get the less I care about what other people think ... though I think I'll always get annoyed at people quick to judge other people's tastes.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for you I say! I love what I love and I don't care who knows it. I'm having a lovely time at the moment giving my kids a musical education - ABBA, Michael Jackson, Bach, Beethoven, KISS, Foo Fighters, The Clouds, Judy Garland and Frank Sinatra - it's all good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks, I love receiving comments! *s*